Saturday, September 1, 2012

Travelling Railways

Galaxy Express 999

I'm offline for the next 2-3 days as we drive from NY to FL to see my parents. I love travelling, but not dealing with the people on the roads. As we probably wont make it past Washington D.C. tonight I'm trying to keep a positive mindset and relax enough to enjoy this trip. P drives during the day and I drive the evening/night shift, which is fine by me as I have better night vision than he does, but this time we have a camcorder to record our drive.

It seems kind of silly to video the drive, but we never took pictures of our other trips across the country and now that we can, I want to make sure we have a record of the trip. Well, the parts where we aren't spazing at each other, because really, we have too similar of personalities to spend that long in a little car and not get on each other's nerves. :)

"We have traveled this way before, but there is still much to be learned." ~ Carl Sagan

The key is to just let the universe flow around us and enjoy looking out as the world slips around us, right? I find it difficult sometimes to pick my head up long enough to really see the world around me. We were actually talking about that earlier today actually. I can go for long periods locked up in buildings, but there is a threshold that I reach where I just need to get away and breathe in the world. I go to our local farm (Queen's County Farm Museum) and stand there, petting the goats and staring at the clouds through the swaying tree branches. It reminds me how to be human; helping to center my mind and heart and soul.

I can't wait until we get out of this city made of metal, glass and brick. Everything seems to sit heavily upon my soul here, like eating too much-the food sitting heavily in one's stomach making you feel queasy and uncomfortable. I really am not a 'city-girl'. I prefer dirt and trees and animals around me. Honestly, I wish we lived in the middle of nowhere where I could choose if I wanted to see people without having humanity thrust upon me every waking second of every day.

If you have never lived in a rural environment, the idea of being completely isolated probably doesn't make any sense, but I grew up in a rural and small town, big cities are just too much for me. I like silence and I've yet to truly find that in a large city. Like vegetarianism, I'll leave it for those that like it.

I like my space.


No comments:

Post a Comment